Wednesday 20 February 2013

Me and my vintage Singer sewing machine.

Everybody assumes I have a fancy sewing machine. I don't. I have the oldest most basic sewing machine possible. It's the kind of sewing machine that gets used for props in vintage inspired events. Given to me by my Grandma for my 18th birthday I think it was it was her Mothers. I can't work out exactly how old it is. Instinct says it is 30s though so let's stick with that.

I had a dreadful accident with it the other day. I was taking the machine out from its cupboard when I missed the handle and it slipped. Being so heavy it crashed and broke it's box. I felt so bad. It's been around for at least 80+ years and I destroy it.


I decided to leave it for a bit before trying to fix. I felt so bad I was getting all emotional and I needed to be rational to fix it. Finally I sat down to sort out the mess. It really wasn't that bad in the end and a few carefully placed pins solved the problem.


Guilt mainly assuaged. I did discover that the hook on the faceplate had been bent in the accident and, although usable, is rather fragile so I need to keep an eye out for a replacement.

Excitingly I discovered that the box had a hidden compartment with a load of  attachments and the original manual. I am now on a mission to learn how to use the new bits and maybe reading the manual will help.....I will admit right now that I am rubbish with manuals and have a bad habit of jumping right in and using the manual to sort it out when I get into a total mess. I also blame the manual for my getting into a mess in the first place.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth, Check the serial number and look it up at http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/serial-numbers/singer-sewing-machine-serial-number-database.html
    It's a pretty accurate way to date the machine.
    Regards
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incidentally, I thought you may have a Pinnock sewing machine, made in Elizabeth (South Australia) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much. My sewing machine dates from 1874! Quite remarkable that it is still working.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should add that I was able to find an identical faceplate so it is back up and running.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-38463267-1