Monday 4 March 2013

A seriously yummy golden syrup cake

This recipe is truly an accidental success. I was attempting to make Parkin but realised a bit too late that I didn't have oatmeal or treacle and it was just too cold to go to the shop round the corner. Refusing to waste what I had prepared so far I added a bit more flour and more golden syrup to make what I hoped would be an edible cake.

It was great! Sticky, sweet and just plain yummy. I ended up taking some into work and decided that I didn't want to share and ate the lot for breakfast. I did feel slightly sick afterwards proving it doesn't pay to be selfish. It even got a comment of 'good bake' from a world renowned Chocolatier who just happens to be my Matey's boss. (Yes my husband works in chocolate and no I don't get loads of free chocolate!)


Unsure whether it was a one off success or if I could replicate it I decided to have another bash this weekend.

Ingredients:
130g self-raising flour
2tsp ground ginger
A good pinch of mixed spice
A pinch of salt
175g dark brown sugar
100g butter
160g golden syrup
3 tablespoons milk
1 large beaten egg

Method
1. Pre-heat the oven to 175C/gas mark 4.
2. Sift the flour, spices and salt into a bowl.
3. Melt the butter, golden syrup and sugar over a low heat, keep stirring, then remove from the heat and leave to cool a little.

Top tip: Boil some water in a saucepan and put the tin of golden syrup in it for a few minutes. It makes the golden syrup a lot easier to measure out.

4. Mix into the flour mixture with a wooden spoon, then beat the milk and egg together and stir into the mixture until well mixed.
5. Pour the mixture into a greased loaf tin, and bake for 45-50 minutes. The cake will be slightly soft to the touch but a knife will come out cleanly.

Leave to cool or just dig in.

We ate the lot in 2 days. My favorite part is the slightly chewy crust on top. It's like cakey toffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-38463267-1